All livestock are to be delivered to Gundagai Meat Processors, South Gundagai at the producer’s cost.
All livestock must be accompanied with a completed NVD of the latest edition.
Gundagai Lamb will only purchase livestock in minimum lot sizes of 150.
Direct consignments (not through an agent) will attract the Livestock Transaction Levy of $1.50 per head.
Livestock to be delivered the day prior to slaughter within the following curfew times.
- Monday to Thursday 8am to 9pm.
- Sunday/Public Holidays 11am to 6pm.
Payment terms – lambs processed between Monday and Friday will be paid on the following Friday (i.e. 7 to 11 days depending on slaughter day).
Grid price ranges are rounded for ease of reading. The lower end of all ranges is therefore +0.1 (i.e., HSCW Range 18 – 24 is in fact 18.1 – 24.0).
Skins will be assessed, tendered, and sold to the highest bidder.
The winning bid will be disclosed to the producer and a fee of $2.00 per skin will be deducted for assessment, tender, salting, packing, pressing and loading.
Skins assessed to be of No Commercial Value (NCV) will still incur a fee of $2.00 per skin for assessment and disposal costs.
Lean Meat Yield (LMY) and Intramuscular Fat (IMF)
LMY values are generated using DEXA technology and IMF values are generated using the MEQ Probe.
The GLQ score is calculated using a proprietary algorithm based on the IMF, LMY, and number of diseases and defects, for each carcase.
If there is a missing or invalid LMY value due to technology breakdown the following rules apply;
- If greater than 10% of values are valid, the average will be applied to the carcasses missing values for calculation of payment.
- If less than 10% of values are valid, the price point within the 53-57% LMY category will be applied to the carcasses missing values for calculation of payment.
If we are unable to report a valid LMY value due to carcase trimming (limited to arthritis, pleurisy, heavy seed, vaccination lesion, dog bite, bruising) payment will be assigned the price point within the 50-53% LMY category.
If a GLQ Score cannot be calculated due to;
- missing IMF values, will receive 50% of the current GLQ bonus.
- missing LMY values, but only because of technology breakdown or contamination, will receive 50% of the current GLQ bonus.
- missing LMY values due to disease and / or defects (limited to arthritis, pleurisy, heavy seed, vaccination lesion, dog bite, bruising) a GLQ bonus will not be paid.
All livestock to be raised to Meat Standards Australia (MSA) guidelines.
- See the MSA website for more information (https://www.mla.com.au/marketing-beef-and-lamb/meat-standards-australia/msa-sheepmeat/).
NLIS ear tags must be present on all livestock delivered.
In the event a mob is subject to a particularly high instance of disease or defect (i.e., bruising, dog bites, inoculation abscesses, excessively long wool, or dirt etc.), Gundagai Lamb reserves the right to apply a discount to the grid price (this will be accompanied by documented evidence of the disease or defect). A GLQ bonus will not be paid in the incidence of the above event.
Gundagai Lamb may refuse to process livestock that are deemed unsuitable for slaughter, with return transport at the cost of the producer.
Gundagai Lamb reserves the right to pay for livestock at the Gundagai Meat Processors mutton rate if lambs are deemed unsuitable for the Gundagai Lamb program.
Livestock must meet all export withholding periods before processing.
Where the Vendor delivers lambs that are out of the Gundagai Lamb specifications, GL reserves the right to cancel any future deliveries.
GL reserves the right to inspect lambs prior to delivery, and in its discretion cancel any consignments that the lambs will not meet the requirements of the T&Cs or will not be suitable for use by GL.
Consignments including lambs with scurs and / or horns may be accepted by application only and only after written approval.
Consignments including lambs with long tails may be accepted by application only and only after written approval.
Wool Length & Shearing
Livestock must be a minimum of 4 weeks off shears.
Please note that lambs with a wool length less than 10mm are at risk of having no commercial value.
Wool length must be less than 50mm. If wool length is;
- >50mm and <80mm you will be notified and may lose preferred supplier status.
- >80mm Gundagai Lamb may refuse to process livestock, with return transport at the cost of the producer.
Excessive wool length creates carcase dressing issues which may result in poor shelf-life outcomes.
Livestock must be pocket crutched prior to delivery.
Ram Lambs, Stags or Hoggets
No ram lambs, stags or hoggets – a 50% discount to grid pricing will be applied.
Gundagai Lamb does not accept pregnant livestock, in the case pregnant livestock are delivered they will be sent back to the vendor.
In the case the livestock have been processed, a 50% deduction to grid pricing will be applied, and an Animal Welfare Incident Report may be raised by the Department Vet (OPV).
Any livestock with seed infestation will incur a penalty as follows;
- $0.50 per kg for light seed contamination.
- $1.00 per kg for medium seed contamination.
- $2.00 per kg for heavy seed contamination.
To remain on our list of preferred suppliers, our expectation is that you will be able to supply the Gundagai Lamb program with lambs that fit into our grid parameters, to ensure we are able to provide our customers with ideal product.
All consignments (direct or through a livestock agent) are required to meet the following grid parameters.
- 95% of consignment HSCW 18-32kg
- 75% of consignment HSCW 20-30kg
- 70% of consignment LMY 50-57%
As a direct consigner you are expected to meet the above Grid Compliance parameters.
It must be noted that direct consigning livestock can be a demanding task. As a direct consigner, if you do not meet the above grid parameters across two consignments, you will be required to consign your lambs through a Livestock Agent.
As a livestock agent, if you do not meet the above Grid Compliance parameters across two mobs, you will be asked to send two mobs of 100 lambs to demonstrate you are able to meet the grid compliance targets.
If unsuccessful you may lose preferred supplier status.